Friday, February 6, 2009

No strings attached

This morning, after sleeping in, I went for a 30 minute out and back run (15 min out 15 min back). It is absolutely amazing how nice it feels to run with no headphones or music or gloves or hat or anything after a season of running all layered up.

Running with music is something I've only picked up in the last couple of years and have yet to really become attached to. With the proliferation of podcasts out there now, however, I find my self running and cycling with one ear plug in more and more. But after sleeping in this morning and checking the weather to see that it was mid fifties and a 15-20 wind out of the south, I decided to just throw on a pair of light tights and a wicking t-shirt and head out the door - no setting my iPhone to whichever of my billion podcast I've infected my playlist with or trying to figure out the best way to attach the phone to my body since I've yet to splurge on an arm band for the thing.

So off I went, into the wind first of course, and immediately I remembered why I initially was so hesitant to run with music in the first place. I felt light, I felt free, and I could hear everything around me and there was absolutely nothing to distract my mind from wandering wherever it pleased.

No doubt I'll return to my mind numbing musical distractions soon enough, but today was a wonderful escape from the web of wires and heavy accessories that has recently invaded my runs.

As usual, the wind didn't help and even though I went out into the wind first, I was unable to negative split the run and ended the 4.6 miles in 30:50 with an average HR of 166.


Peanutt

No comments:

Post a Comment