Saturday, February 7, 2009

Bike sailing

I probably could've just simply opened my jersey and let the wind blow me back to the car today at White Rock Lake in Dallas. The wind was gusting over 20 mph out of the South, and while the first half of the ride made conversation among myself, my wife and my uncle difficult, it's always better going out into the wind and riding the tailwind all the way home.

White Rock is a great place to ride if you ever find yourself in Dallas as it offers great riding without having to deal with the less than friendly Dallas drivers on the roads. Essentially a three legged ride, the trail begins 7 miles North of the lake, winding along the White Rock Creek and then goes 9 miles around the lake, located right off the East side of downtown Dallas. Add in the 7 mile return trip to the trail head and your basic "lake loop" is 23 miles, add a second lap around the lake before getting back on the trail and you've got 32 miles...Not bad for being in the middle of Dallas.

Though considered an easy day by most standards, it was none-the-less a very enjoyable ride with the wife and extended relative, completing the basic 23 miles jaunt in a hair over 90 min, this coming weekend I'll ride solo in the hill country and that same distance should take less than 1:10...It will also be a great opportunity to test out the new bike computer - a Cateye Strada with Cadence sensor. Somehow I've managed to go a full season on my (kind of) new 1 year old Cervelo P3-SL.

I probably survived the whole season by riding the same handful of known routes over and over while keeping time with my Timex Bodylink with HR and occasionally using the optional GPS receiver when I felt patient enough to wait for the thing to sync with the satellites.

Depending on how tomorrow goes, I may only barely fall short of the weekly goals, but the official recap will have to wait for now. Suffice it to say that today was windy, but fortunately the wind was from the most advantageous direction.

Thanks for reading,

Peanutt

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Bike sailing; I like that! I have the same cadence computer, and I absolutely love the way you can "click" through the status. I never had one before, and I can already tell a difference in my training. :)

    ReplyDelete