Monday, February 23, 2009

A matter of cycles




These are my two babies.

There's a third, the bike that actually got me hooked on this consuming obsession, but it's hanging upside down from the garage ceiling right now and isn't very photogenic without a saddle on it. Just so you know, it's a Panasonic DX-2000 that my dad got back in the eighties and then sat in his attic for an unknown amount of time until a year and a half ago when the house sold and he was finally forced to clear out the "junk."

Since then, I've become a collector of sorts, most recently adding the Specialized "epic" in exchange for my old mountain bike from college.

What I wanted to know today, though, is how these two bikes (Cervelo and Specialized) compare side by side, something I've yet been able to test since acquiring the Specialized a week and a half ago. So today, after riding a fairly straight forward route yesterday on the Cervelo, I rode the same route on the Specialized. There was a decent amount of wind both days, but today seemed to be a bit stronger out of the south.

Today's results are as follows:
Outbound split - 34:25
Inbound split - 26:14
These splits are as measured by my watch, which continues to run during stops, the total elapsed time equaled 1:00:39, less than a minute more than my elapsed time yesterday of 59:17 (I think, I forgot to note exact times).

While the two bikes utilize two different computers (cateye estrada with cadence on the Cervelo and Bell 8 function wireless on the Specialized) the distances reported were within reasonable difference and the total "wheel spinning" time between the two were again within a minute of each other.

While this test is far from scientific, it's a beginning point for comparison and I will continue to test the two bikes on other routes and results will be posted accordingly. But so far it seems any differences are negligible at this time.

Till next time,

Peanutt

No comments:

Post a Comment