Thursday, October 22, 2009

23 Days till Rockeldge Rumble

The app on my iphone says I have 23 days until the Rockledge Rumble 30k trail run on November 14th. Here's a picture from the trailhead taken a week ago.


30k is approximately 18.6 miles and will be the farthest I have ever run, and it will also be quite possibly the longest event I've ever completed (depending on my time).


I'm beginning to feel some concern as it's been a huge struggle to even get out the door the past couple of days, and in fact I've only managed one run of about 10 minutes since Sunday and that was cut short because I chose the wrong pair of shoes and was forced to quit because of blisters.


However, not all is completely lost, and in fact I'm getting very excited about the race as I've truly come to love trail running despite the ongoing struggle to figure out what hydration strategy will work best. I simply hate running with anything more than shorts and shoes-socks are okay if necessary and while I'm used to a hat and sunglasses on the road, I'm realizing it's not all that necessary on the trail.


But I know I'll need to carry something with me for the duration of the event so as to not rely totally on the aid stations.


Both of my current "pack" options were inherited by one means or another, and while neither of them is that bad of a choice, I guess I'm just not used to having something around my waist yet while running.


This one has a water bottle holster on either side of it's way too large compartment for something like a 30k, and may be useful for longer solo training runs in the future, but I've yet to even see how it fits or feels with anything in it and it's simply sitting as back up right now.


On the other hand, I have tried this one and it's not bad. It's not necessarily great either though, my right leg ended up fairly soaked with Gatorade as the nozzle tends to seep even when "closed" and if I decide to use it regularly, I'll have to buy a new end for it. The fact that it's a bladder system is also iffy in my decision so far, it holds about 24oz or so, not as much as two smaller water bottles, but enough to last me probably 2-3 hours at my normal consumption rate (I think). I also like the idea of having this one to show my support for my former alma mater CU - Boulder (thanks sister-in-law for donating this!)


There's also the consideration of just holding a bottle in my hand, something I tried once on a run in Colorado this summer, but I do like the idea of having the storage of the pack for something like a granola bar or gel. I guess time will have to tell, it rained like crazy yesterday and last night so my Thursday evening trail run might not be the best this week for experimenting, though I'll find out for sure how well my shoes work in the mud!!

No comments:

Post a Comment