Sunday, February 1, 2009

Not (necessarily) triathlon related

According to my weekly training recap, I reached my "Prep" period weekly goal of 7 training hours. This is of course based on the legendary Joe Friel's ¨The triathlete's training bible¨annual training plan. The week was evenly divided into 150-165 minutes each of swimming, biking, and running - next week marks the first week of Base period 1, which means little more than weekly hours go up to....10, I think....I'm still ˆbrandˆnew to the whole blog thing, so I'll have to check out the details and edit later if necessary.

Concerning the post's title...I don't particularly prefer to be awake this close to midnight, but I've been working on flash cards for Greek and it's all I can do to stay motivated this early in the semester. For those interested, in the Greek dialect used during Jesus' day, known as Koine Greek, one word can be used in place of an entire English sentence. I'm sure it was great for condensing conversations back in the day, but it makes translation difficult due to the different inflections it can involve and the lack of context which usually provides all the necessary subtleties that make accurate translation easier. For example λελυμἐνος is the single Greek word for the English phrase "after having loosened (for myself)" as opposed to λελυκώς which means "after having loosened (for someone else)." 

If you're still reading at this point, we both need to go to bed, I hope to include in upcoming posts the following topics:
  • How I survived my first season of triathlons on a pair of 10 year old cross country spikes and with which shoe I finally chose to replace them.
  • How I can justify a goal of completing an Olympic distance triathlon (US Open) in under 2 hours in only my second season of training (***See quote above in title for partial answer***)
  • Why my dad's 20-something year old Panasonic DX-2000 road bike gets more mileage than my beloved Cervelo P3-sl.
  • How I came to realize that swim fins and hand paddles are ˆnotˆ just for wimps who want to go faster during swim drills and take it easy on themselves.
Till then, good night,

P

1 comment:

  1. You're shooting for a sub-2 hour tri this year? wow. that's impressive man.

    ReplyDelete